I know your first thought will be – surely he can’t be even close to 40… but I am. I’d like to thank my moisturiser, healthy eating and the array of dietary supplements I should have been taking but alas it’s all down to the incredulous gene pool I originated from. Anyway enough of this “jibber jabber” as Mr. T would say, today is the start of getting fit for my 40th birthday 7 months away (33 weeks).
I’ve been doing a bit of reading and considering my strategy and goals. More details will be released later but for now these are my overall goals and in no particular order.
- To be in the area of 16 stone (A loss of approximately 4 stone)
- To be fit enough to attend a variety of exercise classes & train 5 days a week.
- “To offer my body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God.” Romans 12 v 1.
- To be able to buy clothes easily and look good in them.
- To fully understand why I ever reached the weight I did and to be able to prevent my weight from yo-yoing.
- To be able to cook in a more wholesome and holistic way.
- To buy a wet suit for the summer of 2013 and enjoy harbour swims.
- To be fit and fast enough to ride with a cycling club should I chose and participate in sportives.
- To get to the bottom of what is causing so many foot injuries.
- To have the internal strength to face and manage my anxieties on a day to day basis without overeating.
My strategy is a simple one. On focusing on diet tonight I will attend my first session of Slimming World. I've avoided it like the plague in the past but to be honest I need some structure, focus and accountability and this will provide it. On the exercise front I want to build a good level of general fitness. I suspect that I'm picking up injuries by doing to much of the same thing. I want to get to level of training to 5 days a week and doing a different form of exercise each time. Everything from cycling, swimming, walking (with the dog of course), exercise classes and jogging will form part of my regular exercise routine.
More details to follow but until then here’s to being Fit for 40…
PS I’d love someone to throw together a wee “fit for 40” logo if ya fancied it I’d deeply appreciate it!